What kind of properties are used to describe matter? Chemistry Lesson 1.1
- Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space.
- Chemistry is the study of the properties of matter and how matter changes.
- In chemistry, a substance is a single kind of matter that is pure.
Matter has two kinds of properties
- Observed without changing a substance into another substance.
- The ability of a substance to change into different substances.
- A physical property is observed without changing a substance into another substance.
- Examples of physical properties are hardness, texture, color, and ability to dissolve in water.
- A chemical property is the ability of a substance to change into different substances.
- Some chemical properties are burning and rusting.