What are some forms of energy that are related to changes in matter?
Energy & Matter
- Like matter, energy cannot be created or destroyed in chemical reactions.
- However, energy does change from one form to another.
Forms of Energy
- Forms of energy related to changes in matter may include kinetic, potential, chemical, electromagnetic, electrical, and thermal energy.
- Kinetic energy is the energy of motion.
- A rolling ball has kinetic energy.
Kinetic Energy of Atoms
- Atoms, the smallest particles of matter, have kinetic energy because they are always moving.
- Potential energy is the energy of an object because of its position.
- You can think of this energy as energy stored for later use.
- A stretched rubber band has potential energy.
- When the rubber band is released, its potential energy becomes kinetic energy.