How is the Density of a Material Determined?
Measuring Matter Lesson 1.2
Volume vs. Mass
- Samples of different materials may have the same volume but not the same mass.
- An important property of matter is density.
- Density relates the mass and volume of an object or material.
- To calculate the density of a sample, divide its mass by its volume.
Units of Density
- The unit of density is always a unit of mass, such as grams, divided by a unit of volume, such as cubic centimeters.
- A solid block of material that sinks in water has a greater density than water.
- A solid block that floats in water has a lower density than water